Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Tiny Trees

Yesterday, I received another email from the daughter who lived in our house. She gave me a lot of information about the trees and landscaping around the house. I am not good at identifying most trees. I want to make sure I keep the information so I can have it as a reference for later.

She said, "The landscaping is totally different. As you are driving to the house, on the right was a Blue Spruce and a Japanese Maple. On the left were a Flowering Crab apple and Red Bud. One large Silver Birch was just outside the curve in the sidewalk. There were other trees which I don't remember.  I did ask my mother, and this is the best we could think of now. In the front, along the house were flat yews. They may have also lined the stone ledge. On the side, there was a sunburst locust and mimosa near the fountain.  We did not have the fountain.  Our grill was somewhere in the area, just under the locust. There were other ornamental trees which lined the fence on the outside, including a Ginkgo.  Inside the fence, there was an apple tree just outside of the sliding door from the great room. There were also a couple of large trees on the inside back of the fence.  Along the back was a line of pine trees." There is still a gas line for the built in gas grill she mentions. The house we live in now also had a built in gas grill.

The pipe to the right is the gas line for the old built in grill.
We think many of the trees she mentioned are now gone. Four years ago there was a terrible storm in the town we live in. The damage was indescribable. I wonder if some of the trees were lost in that storm. We are sure the neighbor lost a lot of trees. He has many visible stumps in his yard and is obviously trying to plant new trees.

There are now several unusual trees in the yard that are very small but they have quite large trunks. It is apparent they have been trained to stay tiny even though they aren't young trees. I speculate these trees were put in by the person we are buying the house from. I think he was an agriculture professor which sounds like someone who might be interested in unusual trees. My husband also brought up that the current owners are Asian and these trees kind of remind him of big Bonsai trees. I love the smell of mimosa trees. I think the one mentioned is now gone. I know many people hate them because they leave lots of babies everywhere. But, I like the idea of planting another one! A Ginkgo tree would be nice too. I think that one is also gone. They have such pretty leaves!

Mini tree near the house and driveway.
Japanese Maple along front walk.
Mini Tree between driveway and neighbor's yard on the right
Two mini trees can be seen in the left side of the front yard.




1 comment:

  1. We were at the house last night and decided there were definitely trees lost in the huge storm 4 years ago. The current owners must have removed all of the stumps. The fence in the back is damaged. It was crushed by a fallen tree. I can't remember how we know that. But, you can almost tell where the tree was that fell on it by the way the land slopes and the grass grows etc. But, there is absolutely no stump to be seen.

    ReplyDelete