Friday, June 14, 2013

3-2-1 Contact!

Last weekend we had dinner with my parents for my brother's birthday. I realized that the first year my dad taught at our high school would have been the freshman year of high school for the boy who grew up in our house. My parents just happen to have the yearbook because it was given to my dad as retirement gift since it was from his first year of teaching. I got it and found a photo of the boy. I now know what all of the original owners look like except the father. While we were at my parents house I finally received an email from the man who lived in the house!! We exchanged some information and it turns out that my father was his high school history teacher! He was in town last year and drove by to see the house. The owners were in the yard and he was able to talk to them. They confirmed they were the third owners of the house. I had started wondering the night of the bike ride if the house was originally stained wood instead of the current brown paint with yellowish white trim. He confirmed that it was redwood stained with aqua/ blueish trim!!! I would have NEVER guessed and have been attempting to imagine it.

I finally got the scoop on the kennels! He said, "There were 3 dog runs going in and out of the kennel room. There were 3 fenced in areas inside leading to 3 fenced in areas outside. The back yard was fenced in. We had doberman pinschers and they pretty much had the run of the place." DOBERMAN??? Here I was imagining cute little poodles. And THREE? Wow! Those must have been some dogs to get that kind of treatment.

I also started wondering if the white kitchen cabinets were at one time natural wood to match the paneling. The kitchen is open to the living room and it seems odd that the kitchen would have been white but the living room was all natural wood. He confirmed that the kitchen cabinets were not white but wood. I think we will eventually try to strip the cabinets and have them stained to match the living room again. The walls in the living room have faded tremendously due to the amount of windows. In fact they have faded so much that my husband thought someone must have changed their mind and not used redwood in the living room like the plans indicate. After we removed some wall hangings and saw where an old thermostat used to be we realized it really WAS redwood. Hopefully we can eventually have the living room and kitchen cabinets re-stained at the same time. Then maybe they will be good for another 50 years!

White cabinets in the kitchen
All of the windows in the living room have faded the redwood paneling.

No comments:

Post a Comment