Friday, June 14, 2013

A Bike Ride

My husband and I love where we live right now because it is in a nice neighborhood within walking distance from the university, the campus lake, a small shopping center, the post office, several restaurants, a park and much more. The new house is fairly close to all of the same things but it is on the other side of a very busy four lane highway. About a week ago we decided to take a bike ride and "practice" how to get from the new house, across the highway and to some of the places we would like to be able to go. We have to practice because I am a scaredy cat! I now know I am completely justified. My husband road his bike to work yesterday. While he was stopped at a stop sign a car ran a stop sign and hit him! The car didn't even stop and now my husband is in bed with a cracked rib. The owners have moved from the house so we rode our bikes there and walked around the yard a bit before heading back. In the back yard, along the back wall of what is now the family room I noticed three squares in the brick. The squares were slightly off from the rest of the brick. It was obvious that someone had filled in three square holes with new brick. THREE DOGGY DOORS!! I was so excited I figured out part of the mystery of the dog kennel. It was where the family room is now. But, THREE doggy doors?? And, how exactly was it set up. Was the WHOLE family room a dog kennel? Surely not! More questions! I wish I would have taken a picture of the brick where the doggy doors were but I forgot. My mother also told me that she told her friend Sandy about the house we are going to buy. Sandy said her friends Jim and Judy lived there in the late 70's and early 80's. I remember Jim and Judy from when I was a kid. They eventually moved away from our town. It looks like now there were at least three owners of the house but from what I know I don't think Jim and Judy lived there very long. I think the original owners lived there about 18 years. I believe Jim and Judy lived there about 6 or 7 years and I think the people we are buying it from lived there almost 30 years.

This is the family room that used to be a dog kennel. The doggy doors where under the windows to the left.

No comments:

Post a Comment