Sunday, July 21, 2013

Waiting, Waiting, Waiting

Well, I have not fallen off the face of the earth. We are STILL waiting on the floors to be finished and we can't do much else until that happens. They were supposed to be done in 2 weeks. So far it has been 2 weeks and 2 days. It is supposed to be another half a week to a week. At this point I'm not sure what is taking so long. The glue in the basement seemed to come up fairly easy. I didn't hear of any problems like they expected. There was a bit of a scare with the cement in the family room. I got a call to come over and discuss our options because they didn't think it could be polished due to those big white circles I posted photos of. It turns out the spots were just floor leveler that was put down to make the carpet lay smooth. It popped up fairly easy and ended up not being a problem. So, again, I'm not sure what the delay has been. I see very little difference every time I sneak in to take a peek in the evenings. There is always some progress but it never quite seems like a day's worth of work. Thankfully we are not paying by the hour! We have been told there will be some extra labor added on for the basement glue and the floor leveler. I hope it isn't excessive.

Right now the curtains have been pulled in the basement so I can no longer peek in the windows to see what is going on down there. The cork upstairs is done I think. It doesn't look as nice as I had hoped but it will do for now. After they sanded it I expected it to look much newer. It looks very much like it initially did when we pulled the carpet up. It now just has the polyurethane coating on top. You can still see a lot of wear but most of it will be covered with furniture. We will eventually put in newer cork I think. There is a spot in front of each bathroom door where there is a gap between the cork and the threshold. I'm not sure what is going to happen there. I was supposed to get a phone call to discuss the plan but I haven't received one yet.

On the main floor the terrazzo looks really good. The spot we were told about in front of the stove is hardly noticeable. I don't think I would have noticed anything if I hadn't been told. The terrazzo is not done and doesn't yet have that super glossy look like I am expecting. They have been working on it since almost day one so I'm not sure why they haven't gotten further with it. It looks great. It just needs to be finished!! They have pulled the laminate off of the steps but I can't tell what the plans are there. The stairs will be wood but I didn't completely understand how they are going to do it. They are also going to sand a small patch of the wall next to the stairs so they can get some idea of what will be involved in refinishing the paneled walls. We were not going to jump right in to painting but now we are changing our plans. There is a big spot along all of the baseboards where it wasn't painted due to the carpet. It doesn't look great so we are going to paint sooner than planned. Hopefully soon I can update and say the floors are finished. I feel like it is never going to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment