Monday, October 28, 2013

Sheffield Serenade & Saturated Shingles

I didn't beat my old record and make it three days in a row with blog posts. I still need to post about paint colors and take some photos of the original labels on the bedroom doors. It seems like I am never home during the daylight to take some nice photos of the paint. We haven't really had decent internet since we moved in. To make a long story short. Stay away from Mediacom Cable if there is anyway you can possibly avoid them. Much of the past month we have been frequenting coffee shops for most of our internet needs which has limited my internet time.

Instead of telling you about paint I decided to post a photo of our new china. This photo is not really of our new china but it is exactly what our new china looks like and probably a much prettier photo than I could manage without breaking a few pieces in the process. We got it at the same place we got the Catherin Holm pot I posted about last time. George's Resale is a great place to find quality stuff at a decent price. George always has furniture that is much higher quality than anything your could find in most furniture stores today. When we bought the Catherin Holm pot I saw these dishes and I loved them except......they are yellow. I liked that they looked kind of retro without going over board. I think the tea cups that are a different color on the inside than the outside is what really got me. I always love that! But, I wanted olive green. So, we went back a few days later to look at the stamp and see if we could do some googling and find them in olive green. Turns out they were never made in olive green but George gave us a bargain we couldn't refuse so we settled for yellow. The china is called Sheffield Serenade. It is by Homer Laughlin who is also responsible for the well know Fiesta china pattern.

Another bit of excitement has happened since I last posted. I woke up the other night and heard an awful banging noise. I thought it was one of our cats being "bad". I decided if I ignored it they would stop but they didn't. Then I decided maybe it wasn't a cat. At this point I thought about waking my sleeping husband up because he obviously wasn't waking up on his own. It was around this time I realized that I very likely could be murdered by a serial killer in my bed and my husband would not wake up to save me. I was on my own! I laid there and thought about where the sound was coming from and what it could possibly be. It was very repetitious so I decided it was not a serial killer unless he was unsuccessfully attempting to bang down the front door. I finally pinpointed the sound to the shed door which is off the carport and under our bedroom. I realized it was raining and decided the door had blown open in the wind and possibly a critter had even gotten in there and was banging around. Again I told myself if I ignored it the noise would stop. After a bit longer I realized the noise was NOT going to stop and I was not going to be able to sleep.

So, I decided to wake my husband up. He went outside with the flashlight. After some time he came back and reported that our roof was sagging and it had pushed the door open. At first I thought it sounded quite dramatic and had visions of the roof sagging down and almost touching my car. We had known there was a small leak on the carport roof but didn't realize how serious it was. It was pretty amazing what happened and how quick. The physics behind the whole thing took me a while to figure out! From what I understand the frame around the door filled with water, it expanded and started coming apart and caused the door to come open. On Saturday we had someone come and take a look at it. He didn't seem to be too phased by it and thankfully it is just the carport roof and not the whole house. We think it is very likely the original roof! We don't have an estimate on the roof yet. We are hoping it is nothing to exorbitant and the people are of higher quality than the folks who did our floors. These people come highly recommended (as did the floor people). So, maybe soon I can post some photos of our new rubber membrane roof and gutters.

2 comments:

  1. I have some Homer Laughlin "Virginia Rose" dishes that my mother got in 1942 when she got married. They are very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason, I just saw this comment! I looked up the "Virginia Rose" pattern on Google. They are very pretty and dainty looking.

    ReplyDelete